I started out writing when I was about ten and a teacher gave me an exercise book to direct my overactive imagination and hopefully tame my awful calligraphic skills. One out of two, I suppose, isn't bad. My imagination has been directed but my handwriting remains appalling to this day nearly three decades hence.
At first I wrote what people write, genre novels, trying to make something I would be proud of, a dark fantasy novel to capture the imagination filled with relatable characters and new ideas. After producing a heap of badly written generic tripe with wooden characters, appalling dialogue and wonky plotted garbage I finally fixed the dialogue in the first novel I wrote that doesn't make me blush with shame Hidden Predators, Dangerous Prey.
After that I noodled around trying to make something a publishing house might want to publish before realising my chances of a satisfying career as a writer were about as good as my chances of winning the lottery four weeks straight.
Thereafter I got involved in the murky world of self-publishing and it was a short leap from there to the design of RPGs and other such ephemera. I designed several RPGs and had a whale of a time before Amazon's Kindle brought e-readers to the masses.
Since 2005 I have tried to complete 50k in National Novel Writing Month and have only failed in 2007. In 2012 I have begun to rewrite, ressurrect, polish and produce some solid genre work that I have been proud to publish through KDP Select.
Check out my work (and the artistic stylings of my artist friend Justin on one of the RPGs) at my creative blog: leostableford.blogspot.com
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Member for 10 years, 1 month
10 profile views
Last seen Dec 20 '13 at 14:09
- Writing 7.8k 7.8k 11 gold badge2121 silver badges3737 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 693 693 22 gold badges99 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Server Fault 179 179 11 silver badge1111 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 151 151 33 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 141 141 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 35 How long should it take to write 100k words?
- 30 What's Essential In A Combat Scene?
- 26 What is a discovery writer?
- 25 Getting Inside Someone Else's Head
- 20 How do you make a character quintessential, but not cliched or cartoony?
- 19 What is the difference between writing in the first and the third person?
- 18 What exactly is an editor?
- View more network posts →