Galastel supports GoFundMonica
Consider supporting Monica Cellio's gofundme here >>>
A popular and well-respected volunteer network moderator, Monica Cellio, was terminated without warning and portrayed to the press as misgendering trans people by Stack Overflow, Inc. All signs suggest this was an erroneous, if not malicious, decision not founded on fact, which the company is completely failing to take any responsibility for. This has caused an enormous and ongoing uproar in the community.
Monica and the community have been quite literally begging for some kind of response from the company either opening up a path to reinstatement, or justifying their decision to terminate her, for more than a month now. She's made many good-faith offers to talk, and others have offered to mediate (and made dozens of constructive suggestions on how to resolve the situation). Several members of the Lavender community have spoken up on her behalf, e.g. in this prominent post.
So far, Stack Overflow, Inc. has met all of this with thunderous silence. As a long-time contributor and someone always willing to see the good in the company's and its employees' actions and assume good faith, I'm still struggling to come to terms with the corporate callousness of this behaviour which we have to assume now is the new normal.
Having exhausted all other means of communication, Monica is now raising funds for potential legal action to clear her name. This is in her own interest, but arguably also in the interest of the SO community at large. While only the libel is likely to be legally actionable, it might establish at least some boundaries to what the company can do to its volunteers, as well as be a symbolic slap in the face of a business that appears to have lost all respect for the community that keeps it alive.
I have complete trust the funds will be used well and anything left over (say because they decide to do the right thing after all and legal action becomes unnecessary) will go toward good causes.
Member for 5 years, 4 months
132 profile views
Last seen Mar 29 at 22:03
- Writing 56.5k 56.5k 1010 gold badges165165 silver badges297297 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 5.5k 5.5k 33 gold badges1414 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- Interpersonal Skills 4k 4k 33 gold badges88 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 3.4k 3.4k 22 gold badges1010 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- Worldbuilding 1.5k 1.5k 44 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 332 The "loop" has arrived. What does the community think about it?
- 202 How can a girl maintain friendship with guys after they're married?
- 181 Requesting someone to give up their seat to me on public transport if I have an invisible disability?
- 162 Why are the Code of Conduct changes received so negatively, and what can / could have been done to change that?
- 158 Writing.SE clamours for graduation
- 132 Is no religion a bad thing?
- 99 Why was "An Update to our Community and an Apology" deleted?
- View more network posts →