With NaNoWriMo about two months away it might be time to start thinking about how we will take part in it this year. Not only can we use this to bring a new round of attention to the site, it can also be used to help grow the community.
Here are a few ideas I've been kicking around:
- Last year we were hoping to have a NaNoWriMo promotion for the site, it would be nice if we could arrange for it this year.
- It might be worth allowing for a limited number of off-topic 'questions' for people to exchange their Nano forum handles as well as current word counts. Sort of a go to place for all of our members who are doing it this year.
- Set up some Nano events in our chat room, two or three a week and at different times. This can also help drive people to the chat so the above 'question' doesn't turn into free form chat.
In addition some ideas for trying to promote Writers.SE through Nano:
- First off, everything that was brought up in last years thread on the subject.
- We should make up some Writers.SE swag we can offer at write-ins, maybe just a business card that anyone can print out. It will be useful to give to people if it comes up. If we do this right it would be useful even after Nano is over.
- Try using your Nano forum signature to have your Writers.SE flair (assuming this is possible, I've never been huge on the forums).